Follow gobblemonkey on Twitter

Search This Blog

Monday 21 May 2012

Curiously Strawberry

Quick, what is the one thing you are most curious about in the whole world?

Decided?

Was it a strawberry?

No?

Oh.

Well look at this and tell me you're not the least bit curious about it:


Hmmmmmmmmm? Just look at their insane grinning faces and massive tongues! Now are you curious? Mental.

Now when I was a young monkey, I liked to eat a cereal called Cinnamon Toast Crunch - it was one of my favourites (I've often petitioned for cinnamon to take it's rightful place on the dinner table next to salt and pepper - a pudding condiment if you will).

But sadly Cinnamon Toast Crunch disappeared and eventually reappeared as 'Cinnamon Grahams' - the second worst cereal name of all time. (Named after their non-cinnamon flavoured cousins Golden Grahams.)

Having vowed NEVER to eat a cereal called Graham, I didn't buy them. But then Cinnamon Grahams were rebranded as Curiously Cinnamon a few years ago - the worst cereal name of all time.

I can only imagine that the marketing department at Nestle must have had a competition in the office to see if anyone could one up with a WORSE name than Cinnamon Grahams, and Janet from accounts came up with Curiously Cinnamon.

(The name doesn't even make grammatical sense, meaning I've been forced to call them "Cinna-meanies" - it's not perfect but it's easier for everyone involved.)

Also Janet must be the only person in the world to be curious about cinnamon. What's curious about cinnamon Janet? Hmm? I mean I like cinnamon, but only an idiot would be curious about it, it's really not that interesting.

There are at leasr five other cereal flavours I would be more curious about:

1) Curiously Coffee*
2) Curiously Liquorice*
3) Curiously slow roasted tomato, basil and parmesan quiche*
4) Curiously Uncurious*
5) Curiously Beef*

HOWEVER I am slightly curious about these new strawberry* variants, even if the name now makes even less grammatical sense. They've even had to put a little asterix to explain the word strawberry, just in case you thought the box didn't contain cereal, but actually a massive curious strawberry.



See, their full title is actually Curiously Strawberry Flavour - but that name (suggested by Janet) was obviously deemed a step too far to put on the packet.

OK so here's a naked Curiously Strawberry*:


Slightly disappointed about the lack of an insane face and massive tongue, but never mind, the real test of a new cereal is whether they taste nice 'raw' - sans milk - and I'm am pleased to say Curiously Strawberry* do. They have an intensely sweet strawberry* flavour.

Now here's a bowl of Curiously Strawberry* dans milk:


Are they nice? Well it's a bit like eating cornflakes with strawberry milkshake instead of normal milk. Which can only be a good thing.

CURIOSITY SATISFIED.

Curiously Strawberry, Nestle, approx £3
Gobble Monkey says 6 out of 7

*flavour

12 comments:

  1. May have to buy some after reading this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really wanting to try these now. Strawberry milkshake on a morning seems pretty good..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually going out to buy some right now :O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three pounds! Jesus Christ, well at least they have whole grain flour. I have been eating strawberry oat clusters from home bargains lately, so why not curiously strawberry*? If I tell you the truth, I ate all my life strawberry flavoured stuff, but I was past my twenties when I ate my first real strawberry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cinnamon ones make a great snack when eaten "raw". Prefer them over a packet of crisps at the moment. Do feel like i've consumed a bag of sugar afterwards though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. got mine for £2.29, pretty tasty although i prefer the cinnamon ones

    ReplyDelete
  7. £2 at the Merton Sainsbury's. I assume the offer should be nationwide.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I reckon you should conduct an investigation into why their cinnamon cousins were originally branded as Graham as opposed to Janet. I'm presuming that Graham was the Nestle chief executive and demanded that the cereal giant's new flagship range take his name. Then when he eventually stepped down the board launched the rebranding competition for 'worst name for a cereal' and Janet stepped in, but this is just idle speculation on my part. I think we should be told.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What!? Curiously cinnamon...in STRAWBERRY*???? must have...




    *flavour

    ReplyDelete
  10. was disappointed.too bland.not intense like the cinnamon

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aargh! Tesco have taken them off the shelves . . . can't get my strawberry fix . . . what to do?

    ReplyDelete