Follow gobblemonkey on Twitter

Search This Blog

Monday 20 June 2011

McDonald's DOUBLE TASTE SHAKES

EXCITING NEW McDONALD'S MILKSHAKES ALERT!
Look! 'Double Taste' Shakes! They look exciting don't they? There are two 'Double Taste' flavours: Double Taste Tropical & Vanilla and Double Taste Double Choc. (They even doubled the word double in that one).


Basically these are your regular McDonald's vanilla and chocolate shakes, with extra flavoured syrup. But in their wisdom, McDonalds have decided that rather than putting the syrup on the top like any normal milkshake emporium would do, they've squirted it all round the insides of the cup. This means that after sucking up all the milkshake, you're left with the syrup stuck around the cup and have to scoop it up with the straw like this:


So it's not a 'Double Taste' shake, it's a normal boring shake followed by some flavoured syrup eaten off a straw. It's actually really difficult + messy to eat up the syrup with the straw, and not worth the effort either. I could easily just buy a bottle of chocolate syrup and a straw from the supermarket, then squidge it all round a mug if I wanted to do that. In fact, I did:


And it was miles better.
Alright, while we're in McDonald's, let's talk about the McFlurry for a minute. Remember the legend of how Banoffee pies were invented when a cook accidentally knocked a tin of condensed milk into a pan of water, and discovered it turned to caramel? Well McFlurrys were apparently invented when Ronald McDonald accidentally knocked skimmed milk, cream, sugar, whey powder, glucose syrup, stabilisers (E412 guar gum, E471 mono- and diglycerides of fatty acids, E407 carrageenan (standardised with sugars) and some Smarties into a dustbin.

ANYWAY we all know the top three McFlurries are thus:

3) Oreo Caramel
2) Oreo
1) Toffee Crisp


(Why has there never been a TWIX McFlurry? Twix would be the ULTIMATE McFlurry. Why not email Ronald McDonald directly HERE with the Subject Heading: TWIX MCFLURRY IMMEDIATELY PLEASE)

But what chocolate bar would you LEAST like to see in a McFlurry? What is the one that NOBODY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would ask for? That's right a *&@$ing Drifter. I haven't even SEEN a Drifter for sale in a shop for about 6 years. But Ronald McDonald obviously has, and he thought it would be a good idea to put one in a McFlurry. Now take a look the Drifter McFlurry I got compared to the promotional image:

Is there actually ANY Drifter in this McFlurry? Maybe one piece of chocolate and one piece of wafer that tasted like a soggy cornflake. Well you did me a favour Ronald McDonald, cos this McFlurry is 3x better for NOT having any @&*@%^&ing Drifter in it.

McDonald's Double Taste Shakes, McDonalds £1.89
Gobble Monkey says: 2 out of 7

7 comments:

  1. I know when i saw drifter mcflurry i was like wtf?! Why would anyone want a drifter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best ever McFlurry was the cappuccino, at least 10 years ago. It was only on the menu for around 6 weeks, and has never been seen again... The Cadbury's cream egg is the worst, it only has the chocolate and the yellow 'yolk' part... what about the white part? It may be the same colour as ice cream, but it's my favourite nonetheless.
    Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks EatingUpNorth!
    You're right about the Creme Egg McFlurry. I never saw the cappacino one - but I SWEAR I once had a blueberry one about 10 years ago....
    Gobble Monkey x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erm Drifters are still readily available in all shops I bought one the other day. In fact I also got one out of my works vending machine for a staggering 70p (I love drifters but even I found that painful!) I don't like Mcflurrys anyway so could care what they mix it with!
    I love this blog though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you're lucky and you come across the helpful Mcdonalds employee and ask them nicely they'll put the chocolate syrup on the top rather than the bottom.
    I think they've stopped doing the double choc one (I couldn't taste the choc in the fill) but they do a choc+banana one which is very banananay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dave, yeah I had the Choc-Banana one the other day - loved the banana milkshake, but had the same problem with the chocolate syrup. It really is a weird concept! Will try your idea of asking the employee next time!
    GM x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a strawberry and raspberry one the other day and it was really nice and a lot of the syrup did go up the straw, although I did have a lot still round the edge of the cup so obviously went at it with my straw

    ReplyDelete